How can I burn energy from fat instead of carbohydrates when exercising?

When you exercise your body will draw from energy stores to supply the fuel needed to keep your muscles running properly. This energy will come from a variety of sources but primarily from a combination of fat and carbohydrates. Depending on what intensity you work out you will burn a higher percentage of fat vs. carbohydrates or vice versa but the body almost always is burning some combination of the two. Instead of focusing on where the calories are coming from during a workout focus more on burning lots of calories by working out hard. As your body tries to replenish the energy lost from an intense workout it will tap into your fat stores to replace some of that lost energy and over time the total amount of fat you store will change.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

Why Do I Weigh More After Vigorous Exercise?