Are circumference measurements the same as what are used for clothing?

Normal circumference measurement sites for clothing can include the neck, chest, waist, hips, thigh, and upper arm. These are great sites to measure and track for body composition purposes because they also serve as spots where fat can accumulate. However, in order to use the measurements to obtain body fat information, you must use the available statistical data based on research. The sites for women 17-26 years of age which can provide body fat data are the abdomen, thigh, and forearm. For women between the ages of 27-50, the sites are abdomen, thigh, and calf. For men between the ages of 17-26 use the upper arm, abdomen, and forearm measurements to determine body fat. For men between the ages of 27-50, use the buttocks, abdomen, and forearm. A body composition formula table must be used to provide the constants and necessary age correction formulas that allow the use this form of measurement to assess body fat.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What variables contribute to the success of an exercise plan?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
The acute variables of exercise include: Repetitions are the number of times an exercise is repe...
What is oxygen uptake?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
The ability to use oxygen is commonly referred to as "oxygen uptake," or sometimes as "oxygen tr...
I joined a gym to lose weight, but I am gaining weight. Is it muscle?
If you are new to training, you might be overestimating your expenditure. For example, if you’re...
How should I measure my waistline?
Ozgen DoganOzgen Dogan
Use a tape measure to find your waist circumference. Start at the top of your hip bones and brin...