Is there a test to determine how strong my abs and lower back muscles are?

Wondering just how strong your abdominal muscles are? Lie on the floor in standard push-up position with your toes on the ground, but with your elbows on the ground instead of your hands (the classic "plank" position). Maintain a straight line through your body with no arch in your back. Keep your head down and in line with your back. Hold that position for as long as you can.
If you lasted less than 15 seconds: The core muscles in your abdominals and lower back are on the weak side, meaning you're more vulnerable to suffering from acute or chronic lower-back pain.
If you lasted 15 - 45 seconds: You've got a nice foundation of strength, which will help protect your back, but there's still room for improvement.
If you lasted more than 45 seconds: Wow, can I see your abs?

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How can I make best use of EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption)?
Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption is the period of time after exercise where your body is stil...
What tests are used to assess upper body agility and stabilization?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
The Davies test is used to assess upper body agility and stabilization. To peform the Davies Test, p...
Why should I create an exercise log?
Clients who are new to exercise should choose to keep an exercise log. An exercise log can have a va...
What should my heart rate be during cardio exercise?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Start by determining your maximum heart rate. I suggest the following formula: 220 - your age = esti...