Advertisement

When should I call a doctor about ethanol poisoning?

Some people who have ingested too much alcohol may lose consciousness. If the person is unconscious due to ethanol poisoning, contact 911 or the National Poison Center (1-800-222-1222) immediately. People who have ingested methanol or rubbing alcohol may need kidney dialysis to remove toxins from their system. Dehydration, low blood sugar, and choking are also serious concerns that need medical attention. If you suspect a person needs medical attention, do not delay or wait for more information about their condition.

Continue Learning about Ethanol Poisoning

How do medications affect ethanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Combining medications with alcohol is associated with higher mortality rates than taking the substan...
More Answers
How much alcohol can I drink before I am in danger of ethanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Every person has different tolerances to alcohol. In general, drinking more than one serving of alco...
More Answers
Does ethanol poisoning affect children differently than adults?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Ethanol poisoning is much more serious in children than adults. Their smaller body size allows for v...
More Answers
How is ethanol poisoning diagnosed?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Ethanol poisoning is usually diagnosed by talking to the person and any friends present. Doctors obs...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.