When should I call a doctor about ethanol poisoning?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Practitioner

Some people who have ingested too much alcohol may lose consciousness. If the person is unconscious due to ethanol poisoning, contact 911 or the National Poison Center (1-800-222-1222) immediately. People who have ingested methanol or rubbing alcohol may need kidney dialysis to remove toxins from their system. Dehydration, low blood sugar, and choking are also serious concerns that need medical attention. If you suspect a person needs medical attention, do not delay or wait for more information about their condition.

Continue Learning about Ethanol Poisoning

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.