Advertisement

What is ethanol poisoning?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Family Practitioner

Ethanol poisoning is also known as alcohol poisoning. It is caused by excessive alcohol consumption. Symptoms may include abdominal pain, intestinal bleeding, slurred speech, lethargic behavior, slowed breathing, and lack of coordination. Many people who have ingested too much alcohol become nauseous or may even lose consciousness. In serious cases, emergency treatment may be necessary. If the person is unconscious due to ethanol poisoning, contact 911 or the National Poison Center (1-800-222-1222) immediately.

Continue Learning about Ethanol Poisoning

What increases my risk of ethanol poisoning?
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhDDr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Teens and young adults are more inclined to binge drink and experience ethanol poisoning. Oddly enou...
More Answers
Can ethanol poisoning be prevented?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
The best prevention for ethanol poisoning is responsible drinking habits. In general, consuming more...
More Answers
How much alcohol can I drink before I am in danger of ethanol poisoning?
Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhDDr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Every person has different tolerances to alcohol. In general, drinking more than one serving of alco...
More Answers
What causes ethanol poisoning?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
Ethanol poisoning is caused by consuming too much alcohol in a brief period, such as a single day or...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.