What causes ethanol poisoning?

Ethanol poisoning is caused by consuming too much alcohol in a brief period, such as a single day or a few days. Poisoning occurs because alcohol is consumed faster than the liver can break it down. Generally, more than five drinks in a sitting for men or four drinks in a sitting for women is considered to be dangerously excessive. Binge drinking is a more serious problem in teens and young adults. In serious cases, emergency treatment may be necessary.

Continue Learning about Ethanol Poisoning

What is ethanol poisoning?
Ethanol poisoning is also known as alcohol poisoning. It is caused by excessive alcohol consumption....
What increases my risk of ethanol poisoning?
Teens and young adults are more inclined to binge drink and experience ethanol poisoning. Oddly enou...
How does ethanol poisoning affect the body?
Alcohol has almost immediate effects because it is absorbed in the bloodstream more quickly than it ...
How much alcohol can I drink before I am in danger of ethanol poisoning?
Every person has different tolerances to alcohol. In general, drinking more than one serving of alco...