What are the emergency treatments for ethanol poisoning?

Although there is no single antidote for ethanol poisoning, emergency treatment can support the intoxicated person while they recover. Emergency measures include IV fluids to combat dehydration and blood sugar monitoring. In some cases, thiamin is administered to prevent other complications. Sometimes doctors also add magnesium and a multivitamin to the IV fluids. If the person is comatose, a breathing tube may be inserted to keep airways clear. If necessary, a person may be placed on a ventilator to help them breathe while they recover.

Continue Learning about Ethanol Poisoning

How do I care for someone with ethanol poisoning?
If you think someone has severe alcohol poisoning, then they may need to go to the ER. If they are l...
Is ethanol poisoning serious?
Ethanol poisoning can be very serious. Alcohol impairs the nervous system and reflexes, including th...
Does ethanol poisoning affect children differently than adults?
Ethanol poisoning is much more serious in children than adults. Their smaller body size allows for v...
What increases my risk of ethanol poisoning?
Teens and young adults are more inclined to binge drink and experience ethanol poisoning. Oddly enou...