Advertisement

Is ethanol poisoning serious?

Ethanol poisoning can be very serious. Alcohol impairs the nervous system and reflexes, including the gag reflex. A person with ethanol poisoning may easily suffocate if they vomit and block their own airways. In addition, blood sugar levels and body temperature frequently drop to dangerous lows, and excessive vomiting may leave a person dehydrated. A severely intoxicated person may suffer permanent brain damage or may die. If the person is unconscious due to ethanol poisoning, contact 911 or the National Poison Center (1-800-222-1222) immediately.

Continue Learning about Ethanol Poisoning

When should I call a doctor about ethanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Some people who have ingested too much alcohol may lose consciousness. If the person is unconscious ...
More Answers
What is ethanol poisoning?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Ethanol poisoning is also known as alcohol poisoning. It is caused by excessive alcohol consumption....
More Answers
How is ethanol poisoning treated?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
There is no antidote for a person who has consumed too much alcohol. Coffee and other stimulants are...
More Answers
How is ethanol poisoning diagnosed?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Ethanol poisoning is usually diagnosed by talking to the person and any friends present. Doctors obs...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.