How is ethanol poisoning treated?

There is no antidote for a person who has consumed too much alcohol. Coffee and other stimulants are ineffective sobering agents; the person's body must have time to metabolize the alcohol. In severe cases, emergency treatment involves clearing the person's airways with a tube and IV fluids to prevent dehydration. If you suspect emergency treatment is necessary, contact 911 or the National Poison Center (1-800-222-1222) and provide as much information as possible about the alcohol consumed.

Continue Learning about Ethanol Poisoning

How common is ethanol poisoning?
There are approximately 79,000 deaths each year related to excessive alcohol use. The CDC estimates ...
What are the emergency treatments for ethanol poisoning?
Although there is no single antidote for ethanol poisoning, emergency treatment can support the into...
How does ethanol poisoning affect the body?
Alcohol has almost immediate effects because it is absorbed in the bloodstream more quickly than it ...
How much alcohol can I drink before I am in danger of ethanol poisoning?
Every person has different tolerances to alcohol. In general, drinking more than one serving of alco...