Does ethanol poisoning affect children differently than adults?

Ethanol poisoning is much more serious in children than adults. Their smaller body size allows for very quick absorption of the alcohol into their bloodstream, and it takes a much smaller amount to intoxicate a child. Youths who purposely binge drink are at high risk for developing an alcohol abuse problem. Underage drinking is associated with impaired physical, mental, and social development. Accidental ingestion can occur with many household products, such as mouthwash. If your child has ingested alcohol, contact 911 or the National Poison Center (1-800-222-1222) immediately.

Continue Learning about Ethanol Poisoning

How much alcohol can I drink before I am in danger of ethanol poisoning?
Every person has different tolerances to alcohol. In general, drinking more than one serving of alco...
How is ethanol poisoning diagnosed?
Ethanol poisoning is usually diagnosed by talking to the person and any friends present. Doctors obs...
How do I care for someone with ethanol poisoning?
If you think someone has severe alcohol poisoning, then they may need to go to the ER. If they are l...
Does ethanol poisoning affect men and women differently?
Ethanol (alcohol) poisoning and binge drinking are more common in men. Women, however, are generally...