How much alcohol can I drink before I am in danger of ethanol poisoning?

Every person has different tolerances to alcohol. In general, drinking more than one serving of alcohol per hour is more than the liver can handle. A serving of alcohol is defined as 12 ounces of beer, four to five ounces of wine, or one and a half ounces of hard liquor. In most states, a person is legally impaired if their blood alcohol level is 80 mg/dL, or 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100cc of blood. Between100-300 mg/dL, a person is usually severely impaired. At approximately 300-400 mg/dL a person often loses consciousness, and at even higher levels death may occur.

Continue Learning about Ethanol Poisoning

How do I care for someone with ethanol poisoning?
If you think someone has severe alcohol poisoning, then they may need to go to the ER. If they are l...
How is ethanol poisoning treated?
There is no antidote for a person who has consumed too much alcohol. Coffee and other stimulants are...
How is ethanol poisoning diagnosed?
Ethanol poisoning is usually diagnosed by talking to the person and any friends present. Doctors obs...
How do other illnesses affect ethanol poisoning?
A person is much more prone to ethanol poisoning if their general health is already compromised. Hea...