How much alcohol can I drink before I am in danger of ethanol poisoning?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Every person has different tolerances to alcohol. In general, drinking more than one serving of alcohol per hour is more than the liver can handle. A serving of alcohol is defined as 12 ounces of beer, four to five ounces of wine, or one and a half ounces of hard liquor. In most states, a person is legally impaired if their blood alcohol level is 80 mg/dL, or 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100cc of blood. Between100-300 mg/dL, a person is usually severely impaired. At approximately 300-400 mg/dL a person often loses consciousness, and at even higher levels death may occur.

Continue Learning about Ethanol Poisoning