Why does estrogen make me so hormonal during pregnancy?

If you feel like your hormones are surging in tidal waves during pregnancy, you're not imaging things, of course. The big biological player in most of these issues is estrogen. You produce more estrogen in one pregnancy than you will in the rest of your entire non-pregnant life combined. In short, your pregnant body is going through a hormonal firestorm, and that affects not only how you look, but also how you feel. Your goal should be to embrace your pregnancy and learn to celebrate the changes in your body and even your relationships. After all, the way you handle those changes, in part, plays a role in what happens after pregnancy as well - in terms of both your health and your happiness.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Estrogen

What are designer estrogens?
"Designer" estrogen replacement drugs are estrogen-like compounds that promise to retard bone lo...
How is a vaginal estrogen cream or suppository used to treat menopause?
Estrogen can be applied directly to the vagina to ease the discomfort caused by vaginal atrophy. Atr...
What is the role of estrogen in brain wellness?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Estrogen has many beneficial effects on the brain. Scientists have been looking at whether decreasin...
What should I know before taking Osphena?
Jennifer Ashton, MDJennifer Ashton, MD
Osphena helps relieve vaginal dryness and painful intercourse; side effects include hot flashes, swe...