Why does estrogen make me so hormonal during pregnancy?

If you feel like your hormones are surging in tidal waves during pregnancy, you're not imaging things, of course. The big biological player in most of these issues is estrogen. You produce more estrogen in one pregnancy than you will in the rest of your entire non-pregnant life combined. In short, your pregnant body is going through a hormonal firestorm, and that affects not only how you look, but also how you feel. Your goal should be to embrace your pregnancy and learn to celebrate the changes in your body and even your relationships. After all, the way you handle those changes, in part, plays a role in what happens after pregnancy as well - in terms of both your health and your happiness.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Estrogen

What is an estrogen ring?
Elizabeth Poynor, MDElizabeth Poynor, MD
A low-dose estrogen ring is designed to treat vaginal dryness. In this video, Elizabeth Poynor, MD, ...
When should I stop using vaginal estrogen creams or suppositories?
Once symptoms improve, some women may be able to switch from vaginal estrogen to a non-hormone vagin...
Can lower estrogen affect emotional well being?
As a woman approaches menopause, lower estrogen levels can affect her emotional well-being. Mood swi...
What are the cons of estrogen- only treatment?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The following are the benefits of estrogen-only and estrogen plus progestogen combinations:Fewer and...