What is estradiol gel?

Estradiol gel is a prescription estrogen hormone treatment in gel form. It is used to help women experiencing unpleasant symptoms of menopause like hot flashes. The gel is typically rubbed into the skin of the thigh. During menopause, the levels of estrogen decrease in a woman's body, causing symptoms like hot flashes and vaginal dryness, burning and irritation; this drug works by replenishing the amount of estrogen in the body to higher levels. It can be found under the brand name Divigel.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

Can I replace estrogen through a healthy diet?
Some people believe that adding soy and flaxseed to diets can compensate for loss of natural estroge...
Is there a link between estrogen and cancer?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Hormone therapy for ovarian loss has been a topic of great interest for scientists for some time, as...
Why does estrogen make me so hormonal during pregnancy?
If you feel like your hormones are surging in tidal waves during pregnancy, you're not imaging thing...
What are the side effects of vaginal estrogen creams or suppositories?
Side effects may include headaches, nausea, breast tenderness, a blotchy skin discoloration, weight ...