For what condition(s) may estradiol be recommended?

Estradiol may be recommended by a doctor for women wanting to control symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes, vaginal irritation, dryness or burning. It may be used to treat vaginal or vulval atrophy. It may also be useful for women to prevent osteoporosis. It may be helpful in relieving symptoms of breast cancer. Estradiol also may help treat prostate cancer by antagonizing male hormones. This drug can also be used as a replacement for estrogen in response to failure of the ovaries.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

What is an estrogen ring?
Elizabeth Poynor, MDElizabeth Poynor, MD
A low-dose estrogen ring is designed to treat vaginal dryness. In this video, Elizabeth Poynor, MD, ...
What is an estrogen patch?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Applied like a Band-Aid, estrogen patches deliver a continuous dose of estrogen for up to a week...
Can an estrogen and testosterone combination help treat my hot flashes?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Estratest is a hormone treatment product that combines estrogen and testosterone. It was approved fo...
How does estrogen affect my body?
The human body has had a long love-hate relationship with estrogen. Estrogen can keep bones and bloo...