Should I avoid taking estrogen pills during perimenopause?

Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Estrogen levels are erratic in perimenopause. It is a common misconception that the discomforts of perimenopause are all caused by lack of sufficient amounts of estrogen. In fact, during perimenopause, estrogen levels often are too high. Some of the hallmarks of perimenopause, such as heavy bleeding, are a result of excess estrogen.

Your body makes different types of estrogen. The most potent, estradiol, is made by your ovaries during the reproductive and perimenopausal years. If your estradiol levels are high, taking extra estrogen during this time may make you feel worse.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

What are the drawbacks of vaginal estrogen creams or suppositories?
The amount of vaginal estrogen that enters the bloodstream is not enough to relieve hot flashes. Vag...
Where does estrogen come from?
The sex hormones estrogen and progesterone are produced by a ruptured egg follicle after it releases...
How can losing estrogen during menopause affect my bones?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Estrogen also helps to maintain strong bones. As estrogen levels fall, your bones can lose some of t...
What is the function of estrogen in women?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
The "female" hormone, estrogen causes the uterine lining to thicken during the menstrual cycle i...