What is the role of estrogen during pregnancy?

By increasing the number and size of blood vessels that go to the uterus, estrogen helps increase blood flow, ensuring that enough nutrients make it to your developing baby. In fact, there's a ten-fold increase in blood flow to your uterus from the beginning of pregnancy until the end.

While helping the uterine lining thicken to prepare for implantation, estrogen also plays a major role in increasing the overall size of the uterus. It does this by increasing the number and size of the cells, so the uterus can be stretched to accommodate a growing baby.

Estrogen also helps increase the number of white cells in the blood, thus improving immune function. This comes in handy since pregnancy is an immune-compromised state, and yet you still need to protect the fetus from infections. But increased white blood cells travel along with blood clotting factors to decrease the chances of bleeding in the very vascular uterus and placenta (and thus not supplying nutrients to the baby) and hemorrhaging during delivery. The downside to this partnership is that it increases the chances you'll form clots in your legs and elsewhere.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Estrogen

As a woman, can estrogen protect me from heart disease?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
In the past, doctors believed that estrogen would protect women from heart disease. Historically...
Who should be careful about taking estrogen-containing birth control pills?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Certain women should avoid estrogen-containing birth control pills because of increased risk of ...
What should I know about estrogens before taking them?
Before taking estrogens, female hormones produced by the body, you should know that taking estro...
How much estrogen does a pregnant woman produce?
Beginning at week 14, the placenta is fully operational, pumping out continuous, high levels of estr...