Can I replace estrogen through a healthy diet?

Some people believe that adding soy and flaxseed to diets can compensate for loss of natural estrogen. And this has caused a bit of a stir because this may not be good advice for women who have a history of breast cancer. Soy and flax have phytoestrogens that may fuel estrogen-positive cancers. This has not proven to be a real concern, as randomized controlled trials actually showed a reduction in breast cancers. Phytoestrogens in food may help increase bone density and lower LDL cholesterol. Plant estrogens are also found in whole grains and beans, which are always great choices. So just make sure you check with you doctor before you go to Costco or Sam’s Club to buy a giant bag of edamame.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

How do estrogen levels affect a woman's pain threshold?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Pain threshold levels are clearly linked to cycling estrogen levels in women. A variety of painf...
Is there a link between estrogen and cancer?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Hormone therapy for ovarian loss has been a topic of great interest for scientists for some time, as...
What is an estrogen patch?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Applied like a Band-Aid, estrogen patches deliver a continuous dose of estrogen for up to a week...
When should I stop using vaginal estrogen creams or suppositories?
Once symptoms improve, some women may be able to switch from vaginal estrogen to a non-hormone vagin...