How can I lower my risk of side effects from estradiol gel?

You can lower your risk of side effects from estradiol gel by taking the following steps:
  • If you have not had a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), talk to your doctor about taking a progestin in addition to using estradiol gel.
  • Report any vaginal bleeding you experience to your doctor immediately.
  • Ask your doctor how often you should have breast exams and mammograms.
  • Talk to your doctor about ways you can lower your risk of heart attack, stroke and blood clots if you are overweight, smoke tobacco or have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes.
  • Have regular checkups and reevaluate whether you still need this drug with your doctor at least every six months.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

Is There a Link Between Estrogen and Cancer?