How can I lower my risk of side effects from Estrace?

You can lower your risk of side effects from Estrace by taking the following steps:
  • Take the lowest possible dose that relieves your symptoms.
  • If you have not had a hysterectomy (removal of the uterus), talk to your doctor about taking a progestin, in addition to Estrace.
  • Report any vaginal bleeding you experience to your doctor immediately.
  • Ask your doctor how often you should have breast exams and mammograms.
  • Talk to your doctor about ways you can lower your risk of heart attack, stroke and blood clots if you are overweight, smoke tobacco or have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes.
  • Have regular checkups and reevaluate whether you still need this drug with your doctor at least every six months.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

How can applying estrogen help treat overactive bladder?
Women need estrogen to help maintain strength and flexibility of tissues around the bladder and ...
What is an estrogen patch?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Applied like a Band-Aid, estrogen patches deliver a continuous dose of estrogen for up to a week...
What should I know before taking conjugated estrogens?
If you have asthma, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, epilepsy, hypoparathyroidism, impaired kidney ...
What is an estrogen ring?
Elizabeth Poynor, MDElizabeth Poynor, MD
A low-dose estrogen ring is designed to treat vaginal dryness. In this video, Elizabeth Poynor, MD, ...