How can I limit the side effects of using estrogen?

You can lower your risk of side effects from medications that contain estrogen by taking the following steps:
  • Use the lowest dose possible for the shortest amount of time.
  • Report any vaginal bleeding you experience to your doctor immediately.
  • Ask your doctor how often you should have breast exams and mammograms. If you use an estrogen product that is inserted into the vagina, ask about pelvic exams, too.
  • Talk to your doctor about ways you can lower your risk of heart attacks, strokes and blood clots if you are overweight, smoke tobacco or have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes.
  • Have regular checkups and reevaluate whether you still need a medication containing estrogen with your doctor at least every six months.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

How does estrogen affect a woman's risk of heart disease?
Kelly Anne Spratt, DOKelly Anne Spratt, DO
Estrogen, a naturally occurring hormone, provides protection to a woman’s cardiovascular system duri...
What should I know before using the vaginal estrogen ring for menopause?
If you have a family history of breast cancer or a family history of liver porphyria, a vaginal estr...
What is an estrogen patch?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Applied like a Band-Aid, estrogen patches deliver a continuous dose of estrogen for up to a week...
What is estrogen?
Estrogens are groups of hormones that can be made by humans, animals and plants. Estradiol is the m...