Does the lack of estrogen after menopause affect skin health?

YES!! If you are menopausal and find yourself sneaking down the acne aisle along with uncomfortable-looking tweens and teens, you are not alone. Acne can occur when hormones fluctuate, causing a change in the production of sebum in your skin glands. Sebum is the technical term for the oil substance that clogs pores. It can get ramped up just like it did during puberty.

Waning estrogen during menopause can also influence the moisture content of skin, making it dry and itchy. The skin also gets thinner, less elastic, and prone to wrinkling. But you didn’t need me to tell you that. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms if you are concerned.
Dry skin may seem like the last of your worries when you're constantly mopping your brow and changing your soaked blouse. But while hot flashes and night sweats are among the more annoying symptoms of menopause, plunging estrogen levels that accompany this phase of life can be very rough on your skin too.

Studies show that as estrogen levels drop in menopausal women, their skin becomes drier and thinner. Fine wrinkles begin to emerge. Cuts and wounds don't heal as fast as they used to.

If you're tempted to try hormone-replacement therapy (HRT) to save your skin, you might want to reconsider. A 2008 study found that HRT didn't prevent dryness, wrinkles or other skin problems in postmenopausal women. And studies have shown that HRT raises a woman's risk of blood clots, stroke and certain cancers. Talk with a dermatologist about treatments that can keep your skin looking its best.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

After menopause, how can I boost my estrogen levels through a healthy diet?
Plant estrogens can be found in whole grains and beans, which can provide a small amount of estrogen...
What effect does estrogen have on arterial aging?
Randomized studies have been done to assess the effect of estrogen on arterial aging—preventing stro...
How can vaginal estrogen relieve pain during sex?
In some circumstances, pain during sex can be alleviated by improving the elasticity of the vagina a...
Does vaginal estrogen use increase breast cancer recurrence?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
There is essentially no evidence that using tiny amount of estrogens directly on vaginal tissues to ...