What should I know about estradiol vaginal tablets before using them?

Although estradiol vaginal tablets are inserted vaginally and primarily treat vaginal symptoms, the medication could impact your entire body. Using estradiol vaginal tablets for a long time increases your risk for heart attack, stroke and breast or uterine cancer that might be stimulated by hormones. Your doctor will try to find the most effective, lowest dose and use it for the least possible time to prevent side effects. Regular breast exams and checkups are advised. Some pre-existing medical conditions may require dose changes.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

What side effects of estrogen should I report to my doctor?
If you develop any of the following side effects while using a medication containing estrogen, t...
Do older women need more estrogen to prevent gingivitis?
Studies indicate that older women who have insufficient amounts of estrogen have a  greater risk...
What is the function of estrogen in women?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
The "female" hormone, estrogen causes the uterine lining to thicken during the menstrual cycle i...
How does estrogen affect a woman's risk of heart disease?
Prior to menopause, estrogen is thought to provide some protection to women against heart disease. (...