If breast cancer runs in my family, is it safe for me to take Premarin?

The hormones in Premarin may increase your chances of getting breast cancer or cancer of the uterus. Talk with your doctor about your family history of breast cancer and whether you should take Premarin. If you and your doctor decide that you should take Premarin, you should have regular checkups (for example, every three to six months) to determine whether it is safe for you to continue this treatment. Also, your doctor may recommend that you have breast exams more often.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

How do estrogen levels during pregnancy affect headaches?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Estrogen levels rise dramatically during pregnancy and drop precipitously after delivery. Compar...
What are estrogen secreting tumors?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Estrogen secreting tumors cause a feminizing syndrome. They may or may not cause signs and sympt...
Does the lack of estrogen after menopause affect bladder function?
The lack of the female hormone estrogen after menopause does have an effect on bladder function. Est...
Where does estrogen come from?
The sex hormones estrogen and progesterone are produced by a ruptured egg follicle after it releases...