How can losing estrogen during menopause affect my bones?

Estrogen also helps to maintain strong bones. As estrogen levels fall, your bones can lose some of the minerals that hold them together. This can lead to osteoporosis, a condition in which bones are brittle and easily broken.

Eating calcium-rich foods, taking calcium supplements, and participating in regular weight-bearing exercise, such as walking, can help. Hormone replacement therapy can increase bone density and lower your risk of osteoporosis. Other medications to combat osteoporosis are available.

Continue Learning about Estrogen

What is estrogen?
SCAISCAI
Estrogen is a hormone that is produced by the body in one of three forms: estrone, estradiol and est...
Does estrogen-replacement therapy (ERT) cause cancer?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
ERT causes a slight increase in the risk of breast cancer and the risk of uterine cancer in wome...
Can I replace estrogen through a healthy diet?
Some people believe that adding soy and flaxseed to diets can compensate for loss of natural estroge...
What are the effects of taking estrogen pills without a break?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Many people wonder if taking estrogen continuously for several months without a break is harmful...