How does estrogen affect pain?

Dr. Daniel G. Amen, MD
Psychiatrist (Therapist)

A study in the Journal of Neuroscience tested pain sensitivity in women at different times during their menstrual cycle, first during their period when estradiol is at its lowest and then when their estradiol levels were at their highest. The women in the study were subjected to a controlled amount of pain and asked to rate the level of their discomfort. At low levels of estradiol the women reported feeling much more pain than when the hormone was at its highest. The implication is that when your estrogen levels are low, such as during menopause or during the premenstrual or menstrual phase of your cycle, you are likely to feel pain more acutely, which is also likely true for emotional pain. Just one more reason a smart man is especially sensitive at this time!

Dr. Dawn Marcus
Neurologist

Estrogen affects neurons by actually increasing the numbers of dendritic spines and synapses, making communication between neighboring neurons easier. (Didn't you already know women are great communicators?) This enhanced communication network is thought to also make sending pain messages easier, which may explain why women are more sensitive to pain than men.

The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Estrogen

What should I know about taking estrogen?
There are many different forms of estrogen, including tablets, transdermal systems ("skin patche...
What side effects of estrogen should I report to my doctor?
If you develop any of the following side effects while using a medication containing estrogen, t...
What are the cons of estrogen- only treatment?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The following are the benefits of estrogen-only and estrogen plus progestogen combinations:Fewer and...
How do estrogen levels affect headaches?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Estrogen directly affects the level and activity of both headache-producing (e.g., dopamine and ...