Can an estrogen and testosterone combination help treat my hot flashes?

Estratest is a hormone treatment product that combines estrogen and testosterone. It was approved for treatment of hot flashes in women who don't respond to estrogen alone. But the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has questioned whether there is evidence that Estratest is effective for that purpose. The company that makes Estratest has told the FDA that it will conduct studies to evaluate the product's effectiveness. In the meantime, Estratest remains on the market despite the FDA's statement that it "does not believe there is substantial evidence" that testosterone contributes to the effectiveness of the treatment. Since there are safety concerns about women using testosterone, the lack of evidence of effectiveness is particularly worrisome.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Menopause

FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH," A TRUSTWORTHY, UP-TO-DATE GUIDE TO HELP EVERY WOMAN NAVIGATE THE MENOPAUSE TRANSITION For decades, millions of women have relied on Our...

Continue Learning about Estrogen

What side effects of estrogen should I report to my doctor?
If you develop any of the following side effects while using a medication containing estrogen, t...
Does estrogen-replacement therapy (ERT) cause cancer?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
ERT causes a slight increase in the risk of breast cancer and the risk of uterine cancer in wome...
How do estrogen levels affect headaches?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Estrogen directly affects the level and activity of both headache-producing (e.g., dopamine and ...
What impact does a decline in estrogen have on women?
Declining estrogen is associated not only with such life draggers as hot flashes and insomnia but wi...