Will taking reflux medications help prevent gastroesophageal cancer?

Acid reflux medications treat symptoms of GERD. In this video, Sharmila Anandasabapathy, MD, a gastroenterologist at The Mount Sinai Medical Center discusses their potential to prevent cancer.

Continue Learning about Esophageal Cancer

Aspirin Therapy to Prevent Gastrointestinal Cancers
Acetylsalicylic acid, better known as aspirin, is commonly used to reduce fevers and inflammation, and relieve minor aches and pains. For some people,...
What happens if I have to have my esophagus removed?
Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MDDr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
If your esophagus is removed, it is replaced by another organ—usually the stomach. The stomach can b...
How do men and women respond to treatment for esophageal cancer differently?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Men and women may respond to treatment for esophageal cancer differently, according to a Mayo Clinic...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?