What can I expect during x-rays to diagnosis esophageal cancer?

A group of x-rays called an upper GI (gastrointestinal) series, or a barium swallow, is used to help diagnosis esophageal cancer. You will be asked to drink a liquid that contains a metallic material called barium, which will stick to the surface of your esophagus as you swallow it. Metallic substances show up on x-rays better than human tissues and therefore give an accurate picture of the human tissue. The bariums will enable your doctor to see your esophagus (and any abnormalities with it) more clearly.

Continue Learning about Esophageal Cancer

Risk Factors For Gastroesophageal Junction (GEJ) Cancer
Gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma is a rare type of cancer that begins in the gastroesophageal junction, or GEJ. The GEJ is the part of the bod...
What is esophageal cancer?
The esophagus is the tube that carries food from your mouth to your stomach. The cells that make...
What are my chances of surviving esophageal cancer?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Data shows that the incidence of esophageal cancer in the United States has increased at the fastest...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?