Should I talk to my doctor about my esophageal cancer symptoms?

Cancer of the esophagus (esophageal cancer) often does not show symptoms until later in the disease. Therefore, you should see your doctor any time you develop symptoms of esophageal cancer. These could be difficulty swallowing, bleeding, and pain in the chest or back. If you have ever been told you have a condition called Barrett's esophagus, it is especially important for you to work with your doctor. This condition puts you at higher risk for esophageal cancer, and your doctor might want you to go through tests from time-to-time to make sure the condition hasn't worsened.

Continue Learning about Esophageal Cancer

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
What are the warning signs or symptoms of esophageal cancer?
Early esophageal cancers often do not have any warning signs or symptoms. If people experience any o...
How do men and women respond to treatment for esophageal cancer differently?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Men and women may respond to treatment for esophageal cancer differently, according to a Mayo Clinic...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?