What are the most common types of esophageal cancer?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
The two most common types of esophageal cancer are squamous cell carcinoma, most often occurring in the upper and middle portions of the esophagus, and adenocarcinoma, affecting the mucous-secreting cells in the lower portion near the stomach. Risk factors for esophageal cancer include smoking, heavy alcohol use, and Barrett's esophagus, a condition in which the glandular cells of the lower portion of the esophagus are irritated by repeated exposure to stomach acid, often because of gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Continue Learning about Esophageal Cancer

Aspirin Therapy to Prevent Gastrointestinal Cancers
Acetylsalicylic acid, better known as aspirin, is commonly used to reduce fevers and inflammation, and relieve minor aches and pains. For some people,...
How many different kinds of esophageal cancer are there?
There are two different kinds of esophageal cancer, and they are based on which cells (tiny structur...
What happens if I have to have my esophagus removed?
Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MDDr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
If your esophagus is removed, it is replaced by another organ—usually the stomach. The stomach can b...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?