Is esophageal cancer serious?

Esophageal cancer is a serious cancer that develops in the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach. In 2009, 16,470 people in the United States were diagnosed with the disease, and over 14,000 people died from it. The disease often shows no signs until late in its progression, and then it causes problems with swallowing, eating, and maintenance of body weight and condition. The late-stage cancer can be difficult to treat.

Continue Learning about Esophageal Cancer

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
What are my chances of surviving esophageal cancer?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Data shows that the incidence of esophageal cancer in the United States has increased at the fastest...
What happens if I have to have my esophagus removed?
Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MDDr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
If your esophagus is removed, it is replaced by another organ—usually the stomach. The stomach can b...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?