How can I reduce my risk of esophageal cancer?

Here are some esophageal cancer prevention solutions:

• Wait 3 Full Hours After Dinner Before Going to Sleep: It takes three full hours for your food to digest. This is not an issue during the day, but can pose a problem at night since lying down can cause and increase reflux, which damages the esophagus. Always wait three full hours after your last meal before going to sleep.
  • Treat Heartburn With Acid-Blocking Medication: If you suffer from heartburn, PPI (proton pump inhibitors) and H2 blocker (acid antihistamine medication) over-the-counter medications can help this condition from developing into something worse and damaging your esophagus. However, these medications can affect how calcium is absorbed, which you need for bone strength. Talk to your doctor about what treatment is best for you.
  • Get a Nasal Esophagoscopy: Anyone over 50 suffering from long-term heartburn, throat-burn, coughing or hoarseness should get a nasal esophagoscopy. This easy screening procedure involves inserting a thin, flexible tube with a camera at the end of it down the esophagus and requires no sedation.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Esophageal Cancer

Aspirin Therapy to Prevent Gastrointestinal Cancers
Acetylsalicylic acid, better known as aspirin, is commonly used to reduce fevers and inflammation, and relieve minor aches and pains. For some people,...
Who is most likely to refuse surgery for esophageal cancer?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
In a study of treatments for esophageal cancer, it was found that older, non-white women were more l...
What happens if I have to have my esophagus removed?
Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MDDr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
If your esophagus is removed, it is replaced by another organ—usually the stomach. The stomach can b...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?