What do I need to know about caring for someone with esophageal cancer?

In caring for a person with esophageal cancer, it is important to remember that the disease has both physical and psychological effects. People with esophageal cancer (especially those undergoing treatment) might need help accomplishing daily tasks such as preparing special meals and running errands. They might also need help dealing with side effects of treatment (such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea), as well as pain. It is also important to talk to somebody with cancer, as well as listen. Just being available and providing company can help reduce the anxiety related to the disease.

Continue Learning about Esophageal Cancer

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
Can surgery for esophageal cancer improve my chances of survival?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Surgery for esophageal cancer may improve your chances of survival. A study showed that people with ...
What are the most common types of esophageal cancer?
Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDLyall A. Gorenstein, MD
The two most common types of esophageal cancer are squamous cell carcinoma, most often occurring...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?