Does Barrett's esophagus increase my risk for esophageal cancer?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Having Barrett's esophagus greatly increases the risk of developing esophageal cancer. Close surveillance is necessary to detect Barretts and monitor that premalignant changes do not develop.
Barrett’s esophagus has become an increasing problem in America, with approximately 1 million Americans currently diagnosed with this disease. Barrett’s esophagus can lead to esophageal cancer in up to 10% of these people. Barrett’s esophagus can be prevented by adequately treating your acid reflux symptoms, either with medication or with a type of surgery  known as Nissen fundoplication. 

Continue Learning about Esophageal Cancer

Aspirin Therapy to Prevent Gastrointestinal Cancers
Acetylsalicylic acid, better known as aspirin, is commonly used to reduce fevers and inflammation, and relieve minor aches and pains. For some people,...
Can surgery for esophageal cancer improve my chances of survival?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Surgery for esophageal cancer may improve your chances of survival. A study showed that people with ...
How do men and women respond to treatment for esophageal cancer differently?
Men and women may respond to treatment for esophageal cancer differently, according to a Mayo Clinic...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?