Why did my doctor tell me to reduce my alcohol consumption to help my ED?

One of the frustrating things about alcohol is that it can make you want to have sex, then make it impossible for you to have sex. Alcohol is a nervous system depressant that can keep your penis on the disabled list, particularly if you binge drink -- dangerously consuming more than eight drinks in a single night (or day) -- and especially if you also smoke. So, have enough to make you relaxed (no more than two a day), but not so much that your penis to too relaxed to perform.
Moderate amounts alcohol can relax you, increase sexual desire and enhance your ability to become aroused. Studies suggest that moderate drinkers (one to two alcoholic beverages a day) are also at lower risk of cardiovascular (heart and blood vessel) disease, which can cause erectile dysfunction (ED) by making arteries stiff and narrow to decrease blood flow to the penis needed for an erection.
But over time, excessive drinking can cause nervous system damage that interferes with signals from the brain needed for arousal and sexual function. For this reason, your doctor will recommend that you reduce alcohol consumption to improve your ability to get and maintain an erection.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Severe Gum Disease May Lead to Impotence
A fresh, healthy mouth plays well in your favor each time you lean in for a kiss. And it may have a surprising benefit in the bedroom: helping prevent...
Does erectile dysfunction mean that I am infertile?
A lot of guys diagnosed with ED get demoralized, thinking that problems with getting and maintai...
Can good control of diabetes help improve erectile dysfunction?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Psychological factors, depression in particular, are also common culprits in men with diabetes. E...
Pain Relievers May Cause Erectile Dysfunction