Why did my doctor check my breasts and scrotum if I have ED?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is sometimes caused by an endocrine (hormonal) imbalance. Signs that you have a lower than normal level of the male hormone testosterone include breast enlargement, smaller testicles, and trouble growing facial hair or losing hair on the chest, legs and arms. Your doctor may confirm that you have low testosterone with a blood or urine test, and put you on hormone replacement therapy.
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
Your doctor may have examined your chest and scrotum to see if there are any abnormalities that may be related to erectile dysfunction (ED). He or she may have been checking your chest to see if your breasts are unusually enlarged, which can indicate low testosterone levels or another hormonal imbalance. While doing these checks as part of a physical exam to diagnose ED may be routine, physical abnormalities on your scrotum and hormonal imbalances are uncommon causes of ED.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Severe Gum Disease May Lead to Impotence
A fresh, healthy mouth plays well in your favor each time you lean in for a kiss. And it may have a surprising benefit in the bedroom: helping prevent...
If I have ED more than half the time, should I speak to my doctor?
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is frequent inability to get or maintain an erection. It’s common for men ...
Is erectile dysfunction always a sign of a health problem?
It depends on whether you consider your emotional well-being to be part of health. If you do, then e...
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
What is Erectile Dysfunction?