What impact does stopping smoking have on ED?

When my male patients ask my advice for sexual problems, they're always surprised that I ask them if they smoke. For some, an after-coital smoke is part of the ritual, but the truth is that smoking is like a cold shower when it comes to sexual performance. Even if you have no damage to penile blood vessels or nerves from diseases such as atherosclerosis, diabetes, or hypertension, the chemicals in tobacco can damage the cells lining blood vessels that affect smooth muscle relaxation and overall blood vessel health. So stopping smoking is key to getting your sex life back on track.
Smoking is a risk factor for cardiovascular (heart and vessel) disease and high blood pressure, and makes it more difficult for people with diabetes to control their blood sugar levels. These health conditions -- or the medications that treat them -- can cause or contribute to erectile dysfunction (ED).

In addition, smoking damages blood vessels throughout the body by causing them to stiffen and narrow, which reduces blood flow to the penis needed for an erection. For these reasons, quitting smoking can improve your health overall and your ability to get and maintain an erection.  

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Severe Gum Disease May Lead to Impotence
A fresh, healthy mouth plays well in your favor each time you lean in for a kiss. And it may have a surprising benefit in the bedroom: helping prevent...
What percentage of men in their 60s have erectile dysfunction?
Problems with erections become more common as a man ages, especially after 65 or so. But not all...
How do other illnesses affect erectile dysfunction?
Common chronic diseases can cause erectile dysfunction (ED). These include heart disease, harden...
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?