Why do men with erectile dysfunction (ED) often give up?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology

When you combine the highly charged fears of erectile dysfunction with the hush-hush attitude about male sexual problems over the years, it’s no wonder that there have been few answers to help men understand the problem and break this vicious cycle that so often results in sexual failures. After failing repeatedly to have an erection, some men simply give up, assume nothing can be done to help, and withdraw from attempting sexual activity. It is not unusual for some men in their 60s or 70s to say they have not had sex in a decade or even two.

You have to remember that your mind is very powerful. Even a normal, healthy man without any physical problem can sabotage his erections just by worrying about his ability to perform. Some men view impotence as being the dictator of their self-esteem.

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

Unofficial Guide to Impotence

The Unofficial Guide to Conquering Impotence delivers the inside scoop on impotence: the truth about Viagra, what treatments really work, and how lifestyle changes can aid in conquering...

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
No one wants to admit it, but erection problems are common, occurring in 15 to 30 million men. Here are several lifestyle changes that may help you tu...
Is impotence the same thing as erectile dysfunction (ED)?
Impotence is another term that refers to erectile dysfunction (ED) although the term impotence i...
How can I overcome erectile dysfunction (ED) if I have prostate cancer?
Odds are, guys who have prostate cancer will have erectile dysfunction (ED), troubles getting an...
How Does Drinking Alcohol Affect My Ability to Have an Erection?