If I have ED more than half the time, should I speak to my doctor?

Dr. Mehmet Oz, MD
Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease)
You should certainly see your doctor if you experience erectile dysfunction (ED) more than half the time. In fact, if you have trouble getting an erection, or maintaining it long enough to have sex, more than 25% of the time, you should probably talk to your doctor. Your doctor can do a thorough exam to help determine what may be causing your ED, so he or she can suggest effective solutions.
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is frequent inability to get or maintain an erection. It’s common for men to experience occasional erection problems, but if ED occurs more than 25% of the time you should see your doctor. ED--and health problems that are associated with it--can be treated.

Often, when a man sees his doctor to discuss ED, an exam finds that he also has heart disease, diabetes, or a neurological condition. If you have been diagnosed with one of these health problems and think your medication is causing ED don’t stop taking it without talking to your doctor first. You may be given a different dose or switched to another medication. 

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

New Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
New Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Note to guys (and the women who love you): If you haven't been reaching the usual heights between the sheets, the cause might be that little bottle in...
Read More
When should I seek medical advice for erectile dysfunction?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
If you are having problems with erectile dysfunction (ED) it would be a good idea to get medical adv...
More Answers
Is erectile dysfunction painful?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
They may experience a loss of libido, low self-esteem and depression. Many men are embarrassed b...
More Answers
A Surprising Cause of ED
A Surprising Cause of ED

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.