How should I talk to my partner about his erectile dysfunction (ED)?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Talking about sexual problems can be awkward for both of you. The best time to talk about issues like erectile dysfunction (ED) is when you're not having sex -- chatting while you're "in the moment" can interrupt the action and increase performance anxiety. Instead, wait until you're outside the bedroom, in a non-sexual setting. Start by reassuring your man that you enjoy your sex life and your relationship as a whole.

Tell him that you've been doing some reading about ED -- and that you've learned that, just as there are many different causes and triggers, there are many different treatment options. Ask him if he'd like to see what you've been reading or discuss it with you. If he's open to it, share this information with him.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Take a Walk to Prevent ED
Take a Walk to Prevent ED
Want to perform better in the bedroom? Take a walk. Physical activity is one of the most powerful things you can do to prevent erectile dysfunction an...
When should I seek medical advice for erectile dysfunction?
If you are having problems with erectile dysfunction (ED) it would be a good idea to get medical adv...
How do blood-flow changes from aging affect a man's erections?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
There is research evidence that the amount of blood flow into the penis decreases with age, but the ...
Pain Relievers May Cause Erectile Dysfunction