How can I prepare for my appointment about my erectile dysfunction?

Before you see your doctor to discuss erectile dysfunction (ED), make a list of all the medications you take and what health conditions they were prescribed to treat- and make sure to include over-the-counter (OTC) products and nutritional or herbal supplements. Several lifestyle factors are associated with ED, so your doctor will want to know how much you drink and smoke, as well as your sexual history.

You will also be asked how often you have problems getting or maintaining an erection; whether you ever wake up with an erection; and whether you are depressed or feeling sluggish. To help your doctor figure out whether your ED is caused by, or is a sign of, another condition it is best to be open and honest.   
The best way to prepare to see your doctor about erectile dysfunction is to be ready to talk about it. You don’t need to bring detailed notes, although it’s always a good idea to have a record of any medications you are currently taking (including over-the-counter drugs and supplements). Just be honest. This is a medical problem and your doctor will treat it that way. He or she may ask you questions such as, “How do you rate your confidence that you can get and keep an erection?”,  “When you have erections with sexual stimulation, how often are your erections hard enough for penetration,” and, “Do you have an erection when you wake up in the morning?” Honest answers to these questions will help your doctor determine possible causes of your erectile dysfunction so you can get the best treatment.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Erectile Dysfunction May Predict Heart Problems
Erectile dysfunction not only causes problems in the bedroom -- it can also signal much larger health issues. A study from Johns Hopkins’ Ciccarone Ce...
Is erectile dysfunction serious?
Erectile dysfunction can have serious impacts on your life, but the condition is usually treatable a...
How should I talk to my partner about his erectile dysfunction (ED)?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Talking about sexual problems can be awkward for both of you. The best time to talk about issues...
Pain Relievers May Cause Erectile Dysfunction