How does erectile dysfunction affect the body?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Erectile dysfunction may affect the body in a variety of ways, depending on the cause. In all cases of ED, men are unable to get or maintain an erection that's firm enough to have sex. In some cases, such as those caused by high blood pressure or diabetes, this may mean that there's a problem with the flow of blood into the penis, or the blood may flow too quickly out of the penis. Sometimes, nerve damage caused by multiple sclerosis or other nerve problems may affect the nerves connected to the penis, causing problems in sensation. If hormone levels are low, ED may be just one of many symptoms, including a loss of bone and muscle mass.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

What medical specialists diagnose erectile dysfunction?
If you are concerned about erectile dysfunction (ED) you would probably see your primary care physic...
Why did my doctor tell me to reduce my alcohol consumption to help my ED?
One of the frustrating things about alcohol is that it can make you want to have sex, then make ...
Is erectile dysfunction a sign of heart disease?
Erectile dysfunction (ED) may be caused by another condition or may be a sign of one. For instance, ...
How Can Bladder Cancer Treatment Affect a Man's Sexual Health?