At what point should I be concerned about my erectile dysfunction?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
If you have erectile dysfunction (ED), you should be concerned. But an occasional problem in getting or maintaining an erection does not mean you have ED. A good rule of thumb is the 25% rule -- if you experience erection problems more than once out of every four times, you may have ED. The cause could be many things, including a circulatory problem, diabetes, depression, a reaction to medication, alcohol use, smoking, illegal drug use, anxiety, or stress. See your doctor so you can work together to find out if you do have ED, and if so, what might be causing it.
Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Erectile dysfunction (ED) is frequent inability to get or maintain an erection. It’s common for men to experience occasional erection problems, but if ED occurs more than 25% of the time you should see your doctor. ED is often a signal that you have a health-related problem, such as heart disease, diabetes or an endocrine (hormonal) disorder. These health conditions cause or contribute to ED, so treating them can help.

If erection problems persist, your doctor can prescribe medication that you take when you are aroused to help improve sexual function within 15 to 45 minutes of taking it.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction

Take a Walk to Prevent ED
Take a Walk to Prevent ED
Want to perform better in the bedroom? Take a walk. Physical activity is one of the most powerful things you can do to prevent erectile dysfunction an...
Is erectile dysfunction painful?
Most of the time, erectile dysfunction isn't painful. Sometimes, certain underlying medical conditio...
Could my erectile dysfunction go away on its own?
It’s common for men to experience occasional problems getting or maintaining an erection, due to a m...
What Are the Causes of Erectile Dysfunction (ED)?