When are ED medications not recommended for men with heart disease?

Erectile dysfunction (ED) medications may be safely used by most men with cardiovascular disease, as long as there are no contraindications.

However, for example, if you take nitrates for chest pain (angina) even occasionally, you cannot take any of the ED medications. Doing so could result in life-threatening low blood pressure. This is a great example of why it is so important to tell ALL of your providers about ALL the medications you are taking.

If you also have any of the following conditions, ED medications may not be advised:

  • Certain high-risk heart problems, including chest pain (angina), heart failure, abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias), or a recent heart attack.
  • Uncontrolled high or low blood pressure.
  • A history of stroke within the last six months.
  • Eye problems such as retinitis pigmentosa.
  • Sickle cell anemia, leukemia, multiple myeloma, or another health problem that can cause an erection that will not subside (priapism).

Your physician can help you determine if you can safely take ED medications.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction Treatment

How are people with heart disease treated for erectile dysfunction (ED)?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Treatment of erectile dysfunction in coronary heart disease starts with controlling the heart proble...
More Answers
What is injection therapy for erectile dysfunction?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
For men who can't or don't want to use PDE5 inhibitors, injecting medication directly into the s...
More Answers
What Are Surgical Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction?
What Are Surgical Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction?
Do Erectile Dysfunction Patients Accept the Steps of Treatment?
Do Erectile Dysfunction Patients Accept the Steps of Treatment?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.