What reasons do men have for not seeking treatment for ED?

By far, the biggest reason men do not get treatment for erectile dysfunction (ED) is that they just can't look a doctor in the eye and talk about the problem. In one survey, three-quarters of men with erectile dysfunction who had never sought therapy for the condition cited embarrassment as the reason. The next most common reason: Some men said that they assumed that erectile dysfunction was a natural part of aging. Still others said, in so many words, that having erectile dysfunction was no big deal.

I can assure you, that latter group of guys made up a very small minority. I can also assure you that if you trust your doctor to manage your cholesterol and blood pressure, you can feel comfortable asking him or her about ways to treat erectile dysfunction.

Know this, too: Erectile dysfunction is not a natural part of aging. You may notice some changes in your erections as you grow older. But don't let shame or misinformation stand between you and a healthy sex life.

Men have many reasons for not seeking medical treatment for erectile dysfunction (ED). Most men are embarrassed when talking about a problem like ED even though doctors have many successful treatments for this condition.
Some men believe they are at fault and blame themselves for not being able to perform sexually with their partner. Other men do not seek treatment for ED because they are unaware that effective treatment can help them.
Because ED is often a sign of a more serious health condition such as diabetes, hypertension, or heart disease, talking with a doctor about ED is vital. ED may be a warning sign of depression or anxiety, or it can be caused by prescribed medications used to treat depression or anxiety. Only a doctor will know how to do the appropriate tests, make the right diagnosis, and treat the ED and other health conditions.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction Treatment

If I have had one heart attack, are ED medications safe to take?
After a heart attack, the doctor may prescribe a nitrate-based drug for chest pain or an alpha b...
What are surgical implants for erectile dysfunction?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
A surgical implant is reserved for cases where no other form of treatment for erectile dysfuncti...
What Are Surgical Treatments for Erectile Dysfunction?
Lose Belly Fat, Improve Your Sex Life
Lose Belly Fat, Improve Your Sex Life