How does exercise improve erectile function?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
Our bodies are designed to be active and in motion. By keeping active and engaging in regular aerobic exercise, you increase the blood flow to your muscles, and your penis along the way. One of the most interesting things about increasing your blood flow is that it becomes a signal to your blood vessels to grow and get wider. It benefits your brain, your heart, and your erection. The principle of "use it or lose it" is the best advise one can follow. In fact, if you don't engage in sexual activity at least once or twice a week, it would be beneficial to masturbate. This not only helps with prostate health, but encourages the blood vessels that contribute to your erection to maintain their patency and flow. 

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction Prevention

What foods can prevent erectile dysfunction?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Go bullish on fruit, vegetables, whole grains, and fish, while downplaying red and processed mea...
How can I avoid erectile dysfunction (ED) if I have heart disease?
If you have heart disease, there are things you can do right now to avoid erectile dysfunction (...
Can Erectile Dysfunction Be Prevented?
Can Erectile Dysfunction Be Prevented?
Is Male Menopause Real?
Is Male Menopause Real?