Does diabetes cause peripheral neuropathy and ED?

Diabetes often goes hand in hand with peripheral neuropathy and erectile dysfunction. In fact, 60% to 70% of people with diabetes have some evidence of peripheral neuropathy, which is damage to nerves that can occur just about anywhere throughout the body. That includes the penis and the web of nerves that link it to the brain. When peripheral neuropathy damages these nerves, erectile dysfunction can be the result.
Diabetes may cause peripheral neuropathy, which may lead to erectile dysfunction. Peripheral neuropathy is common among people with diabetes. The causes may vary from one person to another. Among the possible factors are high blood sugar, which may itself cause nerve damage over time. Inflammation, injury, genes, lifestyle, blood flow and metabolism all may play roles. If the nerves that control blood flow to the penis are damaged, erectile dysfunction may result.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction Causes

Is erectile dysfunction caused by drugs?
Using illicit drugs can result in erectile dysfunction (ED). These include cocaine, amphetamines, he...
Can cirrhosis of the liver cause erectile dysfunction?
Many men with cirrhosis of the liver--a serious and life-threatening condition--have erectile dysfun...
Why Can't I Get an Erection?
Why Can't I Get an Erection?
How Can I Prevent Erectile Dysfunction?
How Can I Prevent Erectile Dysfunction?