Can an enlarged prostate cause erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Erectile dysfunction (ED) is not among the common symptoms of an enlarged prostate. The most common symptom is a weak urine flow. Occasionally surgery for an enlarged prostate, a procedure called transurethral resection of the prostate, in which part of the prostate is cut away, may cause erectile dysfunction. More often this procedure results in the inability to ejaculate because semen goes into the bladder instead of out of the penis.

If you are struggling with ED, talk to your doctor as this could be the sign of a serious health condition such as heart disease.

Continue Learning about Erectile Dysfunction Causes

Does Smoking Cause Erectile Dysfunction?
How Can I Prevent Erectile Dysfunction?
How Can I Prevent Erectile Dysfunction?
Are Obesity and Erectile Dysfunction Related?
What are the Potential Side Effects of Drugs Used to Treat Erectile Dysfunction?