What should my family do if I have a seizure?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine

It can be a frightening experience to see your loved one having a seizure.  The most important thing to remember when helping a person having a seizure is safety.  Keep the head safe by either cradling it in your lap or putting a pillow under the head.  Do not put fingers or any object in the person’s mouth.   Keep a record of the time and duration of the seizure so you can give to the doctor.    Many times the person will have no recollection of the seizure.  They may also be disoriented and very sleepy for several hours after the actual seizure.  You can keep them comfortable during this time.

Continue Learning about Epilepsy & Seizures Treatment

What to Do When You See a Seizure
What to Do When You See a Seizure
What do actor Danny Glover, President Theodore Roosevelt and singer Neil Young have in common? All of them have had epilepsy at one point in their liv...
Is there a cure for seizure disorders?
Seizure disorders, also known as epilepsy, cannot be cured, but some people do become seizure-free o...
How is Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS) treated?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Treatment for Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS) may include a combination of medicines which can help co...
What happens before epilepsy surgery?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The purpose of the preoperative evaluation is to determine whether epilepsy surgery can be perfo...