There is no one single cure for seizures since seizures are caused by different things. Therefore the chance of a "cure" for seizures is dependent on what one suspects is the cause. For example, if seizures are due to alcohol or benzodiazepine withdrawal one can potentially cure their seizures by detoxing than abstaining from alcohol or benzodiazepines with a doctor’s supervision. If the seizure is caused by a meningioma or blood pushing down on or irritating the surface of the brain, then alleviation of those causes with surgery can potentially cure seizures. The prognosis for any individual's seizure disorder should be discussed on an individual level with their neurologist.
- Q What is hemispherectomy surgery?
- Q Can surgery help epilepsy?
- Q What tests are performed before epilepsy surgery?
- Q Who is a candidate for epilepsy surgery?
- Q Are there alternative treatments for seizure disorders?
- Q What is an epilepsy center?